Edward Enninful Named New Editor-in-Chief of 'British Vogue'Tuesday, April 11, 2017
Edward Enninful has been confirmed as the new editor-in-chief of British Vogue.
Edward become the first black-male fashion editor for the magazine. Edward has been famous for his amazing works for the W Magazine. The former style director at W Magazine succeeded Alexandra Shulman, who resigned after 25 years in January.
He will start his new role on August 1, and will be the first male to edit British Vogue in its 100-year history. Enninful’s career to date has seen him work for Italian Vogue, American Vogue and most recently W Magazine, as well as consult on countless high-fashion campaigns.
The 45-year-old fashion expert began his the career at the age of 18 with a role as the fashion director of i-D. He was the youngest ever fashion director for an international publication at the time and he stayed there for two decades.
Fun facts ebout 'the new Boss' on Vogue UK :
- Edward Kobina Enninful , who hails from Ghana, he was born in 1973, was fashion and creative director at W Magazine.
- Moved to Ladbroke Grove, London, with his seamstress mother, father and six sibling
- Model scouted by Simon Foxton on a train age 16
- Became youngest ever assistant on i-D magazine age 16
- Studied at Goldsmiths University alongside his modelling career
- Landed a full-time job as fashion director of i-D aged 18
- Became contributing editor of Vogue Italia in 1998
- Spearheaded 'Black Issue' featuring only black models such as Jourdan Dunn and Naomi Campbell
- Became American Vogue's contributing fashion editor in 2006
- Announced as fashion and style director of W Magazine in 2011
- Boosted ad pages by 16 per cent in 2012
- Awarded an OBE in 2016 for his services to diversity in the fashion industry
- Announced as the new editor of British Vogue on April 10 2017, abd will assume his role on August 1
- Condé Nast International chairman says he is 'supremely prepared'
- Has gone on to become one of the most famous faces in fashion
- Last October, Edward became an OBE – Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire – for his contribution to fashion. Counts Naomi Campbell as a best friend and got an OBE in 2016
Conde Nast International chairman Jonathan Newhouse said that Edward is “an influential figure in the communities of fashion, Hollywood and music which shape the cultural zeitgeist”, adding that “by virtue of his talent and experience, Edward is supremely prepared to assume the responsibility of British Vogue.”
Enninful won an OBE in 2016 for services to diversity within the fashion industry so his appointment as the Editor of the world's biggest fashion magazine is a sign of the times. He also spearheaded Vogue Italia’s Black Issue, which he hoped would end the 'white-out that dominates the catwalks and magazines.'
The magazine, which featured only black models such as Jourdan Dunn and Naomi Campbell, was such a sell-out success that 40,000 more copies had to be printed to meet demand.
UK VOGUE MAY 2017 : AMBER VALLETTA BY LACHLAN BAILEY
Photographer: Lachlan Bailey
Stylist: Clare Richardson
Model: Amber Valletta
Make-Up: Petros Petrohilos
Hair: Didier Malige